Worship Pastor Search
Full Time Exempt
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Peninsula Bible Church
Peninsula Bible Church has been following Jesus in the heart of Silicon Valley for over 70 years. We enjoy considerable diversity in age (infants to 90-year-olds), economic and family status, ethnicity, and personal style. We have a deep love for the Bible (as the name might suggest) and are evangelical in theology but not narrowly so. We are grateful for the stability of deep roots and excited about the adventure before us, “good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”
Worship Ministry Vision
Our worship ministry leads the people of God into a life-changing encounter with Jesus for the glory of God and through the power of the Holy Spirit. Our weekly worship gatherings combine elements of praise, prayer, reflection, and lament, all with the goal of drawing people deeper in their relationship with God as they experience more of his loving presence. We seek to do that with excellence, but with a low-production model (minimal lighting, congregation-driven sound, etc.). We employ a variety of worship styles including contemporary worship songs (Hillsong, Bethel, Elevation Worship, etc.), theologically rich alternative music (CityAlight, Rend Collective, Page CXVI, etc.), and both classic and modern-day hymns.
Worship Pastor Character
The worship pastor is expected to maintain their own spiritual health, caring for an active, healthy relationship with the Lord, and regularly pray for and seek the Lord’s guidance on PBC’s worship both alone and with others.
Worship Pastor Responsibilities
The Worship Pastor is responsible for all aspects of worship for our congregation – from the visible parts of a Sunday morning service to the behind the scenes details that culminate in the congregation’s experience of worship.
- Cultivate a culture of worship that shepherds the community to encounter and glorify God
- Plan weekly Sunday worship service including selecting music, recruiting and organizing musicians, and coordinating among the various participants in the service such as the host, the ushers, the preaching pastor, and the prayer team
- Recruit, train, build, disciple, and equip leaders within the music ministry
- Pastor the worship teams, providing spiritual guidance and fostering community among them
- Participate in the weekly Worship Planning Meeting
- Participate in the weekly pastoral staff meeting as well as monthly all-staff meeting
- Plan the worship for the weekly services, including selection and arrangement of songs and overall worship service flow
- Prepare, set-up, and lead weekly worship rehearsal
- Prepare, set-up, and coordinate weekly worship services, which are held on Sundays from 9-10:15 AM and 10:45AM-12:00 PM
- Lead worship for the majority of worship services in a year (at least 3 weeks monthly) and provide support for any guest worship leaders
- Shepherd the Sunday morning worship flow by coordinating with volunteer leads for ushers, communion, prayer, sound, and slides
- Facilitate and be the central point of contact to integrate the technical facets of the worship team, including sound, A/V, tech, etc.
- Oversee music for special events or services that occur throughout the year (All-Church Services, Good Friday, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, etc.)
- Serve as lead for the Arts ministry, including interfacing with artists and cultivating the gallery
- Other church worship needs, such as weddings and funerals
- Help other ministries develop their worship structure
- Develop and manage the budget for the worship ministry
Pastoral Team Member Responsibilities
PBC has a core commitment to servant leadership, to healthy communication with other staff members, and to shared responsibilities. Any new pastor would have to function well as “one among others” in our style of leadership.
- Shepherd the worship and arts ministries but with broader engagement as well
- Provide pastoral counseling and care to the congregation
- Participate actively as a member of the pastoral team, working together with them to contribute to the life of the church
- Communicate with fellow pastoral staff and elders on issues relating to, and of particular interest to, the worship ministry of PBC
- Pastor the congregation at large, paying attention to overall spiritual health
- Help lead occasional all-church events and efforts
- Occasional lifting of 20 pounds required for events and set up
- 3-5+ years experience leading worship at a church
- Strong desire to lead a diverse community in all aspects of worship
- 2+ years experience on pastoral staff at a church
- Ability to lead worship from multiple instruments, including piano and guitar
Please submit a resume and cover letter and a worship leading video sample to [email protected].