Building Men for Christ...
Battalion is Christian Service Brigade's action and leadership ministry for Jr. High and High School guys.
PBC's Battalion won second place at 2013 Nor-Cal Camporal! The squad were first place in (paddleless) canoe race and knot tying relay and did very well at meals.
Upcoming Canoe Trip May 3-5. See Documents section for more info, packing list, and registration form, due this Sunday, April 28.
Action and discovery
- We play active games each week during the school year.
- We engage in hands-on activities together, discovering more about the world around us, about ourselves, and about God.
- We'll go camping, including next spring's NorCal Camporal, where PBC's youth will compete against other Battalion squads from Northern California.
Battalion leaders strive to mentor and guide young men to the Lord, to the Word of God, toward Christian maturity, and to service.
The boys will be encouraged to develop their leadership abilities, and can be involved in planning our Battalion's activities. We welcome new boys, and are especially looking for boys that want to consider practicing leadership.
PBC's Battalion normally meets on Sundays, 1 to 3pm in room A14, Labor Day to Memorial Day. Dads are welcome to stay for our meeting, if they want, or to return at 2:30pm to play games with us.
Father/Son Team Day
- On the first Saturday in October (opposite PBC's F'all Retreat)
- For boys K-12 grade with a parent (or substitute).
- Events such as BB guns or air pistols, archery, canoeing, and "legume launch."
- Free camping available the night before.
- At Kiwanas campground near La Grange, CA (east of Modesto).
- BBQ lunch is included.
Junior Leadership Conference
(usually between Christmas and New Year's Eve)
- For boys 13+ years old or recommended by an adult leader.
- At Big Valley Grace Church in Modesto.
- Mail-in Registration is cheaper if done earlier.
- David Gregg's web page has more info.
Shape 'n' Race Derby (January to March)
- Workshops on Saturday Mornings in January and February.
- Lots of games during Sunday meeting times in Shape 'n' Race season.
- Derby Day is Saturday, March 9, 2013.
Battalion boys can help set up, stage race heats, and clean up.
Nor-Cal "Camporal" (mid April weekend)
- Competition day for squads of 4 to 6 boys, youth-led.
- Free camping the night before.
- At Svensson farm near Lincoln, CA (north of Sacramento).
- Various tests of teamwork, athleticism, and creativity.
- Two of the events are preparing meals and serving adult guests, keeping them entertained and comfortable.
Overnight at PBC, late May or early June
We don't call it a sleepover, and little sleep may occur.
- Father/Son camp
- Father/Daughter camp
- Boys adventure camp
- Base camp (choice of focus activity: back packing, mountain biking, canoeing sailing).
- Aviation camp (youth literally fly a plane with an experienced trainer).
- Other offerings differ from year to year, often biking, hiking, scuba.
Spiritually-mature young men at least 15 years old may be “Junior Counselors” at Sequoia Brigade Camp, helping an adult "Senior Counselor" lead younger boys, lead games and songs, perform skits. Their service at camp develops additional leadership skills, such as speaking before an audience and builds confidence through success and encouragement.